How To Find My Social Insurance Number

How to Find Your Social Insurance Number: A Comprehensive Guide

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to access government programs and benefits. Misplacing or forgetting it can be inconvenient, so knowing how to retrieve it is crucial. Here, we will explore three methods to find your SIN, including using the government's website, mobile app, and call center operations.

Using the Government's Website

The Canadian government’s website offers an array of options to help citizens resolve issues related to their SIN. If you've lost your SIN, you can request information on it through the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) online services. Below are the steps to guide you through the process.

  • Visit the CRA website at
  • Log in or register for a CRA My Account.
  • Navigate to the "Personal Information" tab.
  • Click on "View Mail" to find documents containing your SIN.
  • If you can't find your SIN, visit the "Proof of Income Statement (Option "C" Print)" which will display it.

Remember, for online services, it's important to register with strong security measures to protect your identity and personal information.

Using the Mobile App

Another convenient way to find your SIN is through the CRA's mobile application, known as "MyCRA." This app provides many of the same services found on the CRA website and has the advantage of portability. Here is the step-by-step process to retrieve your SIN:

  • Download the MyCRA app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
  • Open the app and log in or register for a CRA My Account.
  • Navigate to the "Manage MyCRA Account" section.
  • Under the "Personal Information" tab, your SIN will be listed.

Note that you should only access your SIN in a secure environment to prevent anyone from seeing or stealing the information.

Calling the Call Centre

If you're not comfortable with the digital methods or prefer direct human interaction, you might opt to retrieve your SIN by calling the CRA's call center. Here's how to do so:

  • Call CRA's Individual Income Tax and Trust Enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281.
  • Prepare to verify your identity. They might ask for details like your full name, date of birth, address, and previous tax returns.
  • Upon successful verification, the customer service representative will help you find your SIN.

Keep in mind that CRA's call center has specific operating hours.

So, whether you prefer online, mobile, or phone interaction, rest assured knowing that you have several convenient options to retrieve your lost SIN. However, for security reasons, always make sure to keep your SIN confidential and not disclose it unless necessary.